Weather Icon 7.2°C Partly Cloudy
Latics fall to back-to-back league defeats
Monday 5th November 2018 @ 10:03 by Mark Phillip

EFL League Two

Stevenage 3-2 Oldham Athletic


Oldham Athletic fell to back-to-back league defeats despite taking the lead twice in a 3-2 loss at Stevenage on Saturday.

Frankie Bunn’s side went ahead in the 11th minute through Ishmael Miller but Joel Byrom levelled matters 10 minutes later.

Latics reasserted their lead through Callum Lang in the 63rd minute but returned home pointless, as Kurtis Guthrie equalised five minutes later before Danny Newton secured victory with a sweet strike in the 81st minute.

Following the loss, Bunn rued his side’s profligacy in front of goal. He said: “When you score two goals away from home you expect something out of the game,” he commented.

“We created several chances and haven’t taken them, then we’ve paid the price.

“I don’t think Daniel [Iversen] had to make a save apart from the one in the first half where he’s tipped one over the bar.

“We’ve created a lot of chances and not taken them, and in the end we’ve paid for that

“To score two goals away from home and lose is a tough one to take.”

Oldham entered the game in high spirits after fighting back from two behind to record a 3-2 victory over Everton U21 in the Checkatrade Trophy four days earlier. Revitalised by the victory, the squad applied the pressure in the early stages and were rewarded in the 11th minute. Gevaro Nepomuceno’s corner found an unmarked Miller who prodded home from close range.

The hosts drew level in the 22nd minute when Byrom found the ball on the edge of the box and hit a fierce effort into the bottom corner.

Latics responded well and made their pressure count in the 63rd minute. Nepomuceno’s cross found Lang who converted from six yards.

Stevenage have enjoyed a promising start to the season and so it came as no surprise when they responded for a second time in the fixture. Newton’s shot was deflected to Guthrie, who headed home from close range.

And Newton gave the home fans a day to remember with nine minutes remaining, as he headed home Steve Seddon’s cross to give his side maximum points.