Weather Icon 5.1°C Partly Cloudy
Warning over chip pans after Oldham fire
Monday 16th October 2017 @ 10:57 by Adam Higgins
News Oldham Town

Fire crews have issued a fresh reminder about the dangers of chip pans after a fire in Oldham on Saturday morning. 

Three fire engines from Hollins, Chadderton and Oldham attended a chip pan fire at a mid-terraced bungalow on Walkers Road at around 9:50am.

Two residents inside the house managed to escape before the arrival of the firefighters, who used four breathing apparatus and two hose reels to tackle the fire.

One of the residents was treated for smoke inhalation outside.

Crews have issued another warning to residents, with the following advice:

  • Remember any type of pan can catch fire – this includes a wok, a grill or a frying pan
  • When deep frying, always dry the food before you put it in the oil
  • Never fill a pan more than one-third full of oil. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot – turn off the heat and leave it to cool down
  • Swap your chip pan for an electric deep fat fryer – thermostatically controlled electrical deep fat fryers that plug into the wall are much safer to use

For more information and advice, click here.